A Conversation for Canada

Currency Correction

Post 1

rasputin1912

Having lived in Canada since I began breathing, I have never seen a Canadian 50-cent piece. I do spend quarters on regular basis, though.


Currency Correction

Post 2

anhaga

Well. Having lived in Canada since the same moment in my own life, many is the 50 cent piece I've had. I guess you just aren't getting the right change.smiley - smiley

'Canada's fifty cent coin bears the Coat of Arms of Canada and honours four founding nations of Canada: England, Scotland, Ireland and France. The inscription, "A Mari usque ad Mare", means "from sea to sea"; the second inscription, "Desiderantes meliorem patriam", means ?they desire a better country?. The current Coat of Arms coin design was produced by former Royal Canadian Mint engraver Thomas Shingles and was first used in 1959. For more information on Canada's coat of arms, visit the Government of Canada website. The fifty cent coin was made of nickel from 1968 until 2000, when its composition was changed to nickel plated steel (93.15% steel, 4.75% copper, 2.1% nickel).

This fifty cent coin was the first coin ever struck in Canada. Governor General Earl Grey struck the coin on January 2, 1908, commemorating the official opening of the Ottawa branch of the Royal Canadian Mint. . In recent decades, the 50-cent circulation coin has not been widely used in business transactions, and most of the annual mintage is purchased by coin collectors.'

http://www.mint.ca/en/about_the_mint/Circulation+Coins/index_circ.htm?cookie%5Ftest=1


Currency Correction

Post 3

rasputin1912

I stand somewhat corrected.

My point being, if I were to come to Canada with my heart set on spending a fifty-cent piece, I would (most likely) be disappointed. smiley - wah


Currency Correction

Post 4

anhaga

Unless you walked into a bank and asked for one so that you could then go and spend it.smiley - smiley


Currency Correction

Post 5

rasputin1912

Then your local Tim Horton's won't take it and you don't get your coffee.


Currency Correction

Post 6

anhaga

I've never had trouble spending them.smiley - erm


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more