A Conversation for The Temple Mount, Jerusalem, Israel

Chronological inconsistency

Post 1

GeVmage

First of all, let me say that I think that with this official entry, h2g2 has become what it has set out to be, a free-form place to exchange important and relevant information about the world. My knowledge of the history of this subject has been infinitely expanded. My comments below are not out of a desire to deride this article or its author, but clear up my understanding.

I'm trying to sort out a couple of dates. In the discussion of the third temple, the following is stated:
"In 63 BC the Roman General entered Jerusalem, and Judea became a subjected kingdom of the Roman Empire. The most
famous of the client kings was Herod, who was a great builder and one of his biggest programmes was the renovation of the
Temple Mount. "

In the following paragraph:
"The improved temple existed for less then a century. Following the revolt of the Jews against the Romans the temple was
destroyed in 70 BC. "

Am I missing something? In BC timelines, the numbers BC decrease as time goes forward. If I read the above passages correctly, these statements indicate that the temple was destroyed 7 years before it was created.

Is it possible that the temple was destroyed in 70 _AD_? However, that contradicts the "less than a century" statement.

I'm just trying to get the dates understood.


Chronological inconsistency

Post 2

Tana

Thank you so much for your comments.
You are right, the temple was destroyed in 70 AD and not BC.
Herod ruled in the closing decades of the first century BC and the temple was built toward the end of his reign so it did last less then a century.


Key: Complain about this post

Chronological inconsistency

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more