A Conversation for The London Underground

Aldgate East- The wierdest station around

Post 1

Back_Ache

Most of the stations you go though seem to have some logic to them albeit in some cases very twisted logic, there is an exception however and its in the centre of Jack-the-Ripper territory of London, you guessed it, Aldgate East.

First Its got two platforms facing each other one for going east, one for going west, okay, nothing confusing so far, the fun starts when you want to leave, firstly, some would say Aldgate is not an area you want to stand around looking confused, the fact then station has two complete concourses doesn’t help this at one end you have a strip-pub and an art gallery (or should that be a strip-gallery and art pub) the other end has a collection of seeming intertwining tunnels end in random places that seems to collect bewildered new-visitors to the area trying to decipher maps that would make more sense up-side down, back to front and in the back of a locker in the middle of the Gobi desert. One light at the tunnel was the 400,000 pounds set aside to sort out the confusing tunnels, there solution...Brightly coloured iron-work at the entrance to some of the tunnels..That'll help...Not!!, still if you exit at the Whitechapel art gallery end of the station then turn left and left again you'll be in a street full of yummy Indian restaurants, brick lane, they also have Indian sweet shops there, I recommend the Gularm Jamin....Sticky and full of calories, much like me.


Aldgate East- The wierdest station around

Post 2

Baldrick

Very good, but I'm yet to be convinced that finding your way is harder than getting lost in Euston.


Key: Complain about this post

Aldgate East- The wierdest station around

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more