A Conversation for The London Underground

lost in the underground

Post 1

BurntUmber

...This is actually a question. If a foreigner (let's say a Canadian) were to attempt to get around London area in the underground, would they be able to find their way out again? and are there people trained to spot...that lost look in my..oops..their eyes and take them back to their aunties house?


lost in the underground

Post 2

doc105518

Your naivety is endearing. Most of the instruction you will get will be from people who are recognisable as fellow colonials by their daypacks or accents. There seem to be no paid friendly helpers. It is however a good cheap way of entertaining yourself to try to find your way a)to where you want to go and b)out of the station. As there is a rule in the tube that nobody looks in anybody else's eyes, the lost look in yours is likely to go unnoticed. Sorry.


lost in the underground

Post 3

Mrs Kermit

Yes, I think that the candian would find his/hers way home again. I'm a Swede and I've been in London several times and the thing that I've noticed is that it's not very hard using the tube in London. I've never went the wrong way...


lost in the underground

Post 4

Hikehitcher

As an American who's spent a total of several years in London, on and off, I can say that I've always found the tube easy to navigate, and scads better than any "subway" system in the US. Part of this is due to Harry Beck's superb map, and the other is due to a reasonable density of stations.

Be aware though, that this recommendation assumes you know which station you wish to travel to. If you don't you need to make sure you have a London AtoZ (actually, you should always have one when in London).


lost in the underground

Post 5

Huw B

On the whole the underground is fairly easy to navigate as you long as you have (A) a map and (B) a brain. There are a number of places where signs are either poorly placed or indeed completely absent. However, tourists normally get lost only because they don't look at the signs that are there.

One (of many) practical experience of this is the Americans I stood behind on a downward escalator at Holborn. They were discussing Marble Arch station (which would be reached via the Central line). However, on coming off the escalator they didn't look at any signs; instead they simply followed the people in front of them and turned towards the Piccadilly line. On emerging onto the platform they suddenly realised they were in the wrong place.

And I'm very sorry but lost tourists do overwhlemingly seem to be American.


lost in the underground

Post 6

Hikehitcher

Hehe, I too find fellow Americans as the most clueless when they are of the type that need a clue. I find this particularly surprising when they're from New York City, home to _the_ most complicated subway map on the planet. smiley - smiley


lost in the underground

Post 7

Demon Drawer

It all leads to great sport for the locals though.

Spot the tourist. Anyone who actually stops at the maps.

Misdirect the tourist. (This does happen be warned, you may be sent on a three train connection when one will do)

There's also spot the tourist at the ticket controlled exits. (An essential for Londoners to perfect so that they don't miss a stride whilst exited the station)



Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more