A Conversation for The London Underground

Little known facts

Post 1

bent

I'm sure loads of other people have heard loads of facts about the underground but here's mine: The underground has now been in existence for long enough that not only have pigeons learnt to use the tube, but it has evolved its VERY OWN mosquito, found nowhere else in the world. Cool huh?
I was impressed anyway....


Little known facts

Post 2

Mole

Yes, more on the tube mossie can be found here:

http://victorian.fortunecity.com/finsbury/254/tubeanimals.html#mozzies

Make sure they don't bite you!!!


Little known facts

Post 3

bent

Thanks for the link!

Another thing I'd heard about is in the channel tunnel. Apparently to stop animals using it to cross from France carrying rabies there are electric grids. Except that they have to be turned off in wet weather. !0/10 for design boys.....


Little known facts

Post 4

The Cow

Also the strange topological nature of the map is pretty cool, where a two millimeter gap means 5 miles and 10 centimeters is across the road...


Little known facts

Post 5

bent

Yeah, that's one of the best features of the underground. Bill Bryson lists a couple of cruel tricks to play on backward relatives by sending them to a station two minutes walk away, via say King's Cross, 'cause that's what the map suggests is quickest. You'd have to be pretty bored though.....


Little known facts

Post 6

Myk Reeve

I think probably the least interesting fact regarding the London Underground is that the only station not to contain any of the letters of the word 'mackerel' is 'St John's Wood'... obviously this doesn't work if you spell out St as Saint. This includes the Docklands Light Railway and the newly extended Jubilee line.


Little known facts

Post 7

The Cow

Read at the URL above in this forum to see some very interesting places.
Goodyear rubber would have prevented this accident smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more