A Conversation for The London Underground

Fun at Camden Town

Post 1

Weeble

Actually, this should be renamed Fun for the staff at Camden Town.
If you have ever travelled south to Camden and then been forced to change because the indicator boards suggest that there isn't going to be a train that goes where you want to go (like the Bank branch) for another there weeks, read on.
What's really happening is that the staff like to watch the commuters dash from one platform to the enxt, as the boards report that the next Bank train wll be on platform 2. First of all, you don't know which platform that is because where you are, on the platform, there's no numbering, and you can't ssee theboard anyway unless you're almost next to it because there are 20 other signs blocking the view to it.
Then you go up to the spot where all corridors meet -- and wait. If they're working, the boards now say something entirely different and, when they do report that a Bank train might deign to arrive, it will be on the same platform you just left. So off you go, only to find it's a Charing Cross train. Return to Jail, do not pass Go....
The fun part comes for the staff as, on the security cameras, they watch people dash from one side of the station to another.


Fun at Camden Town

Post 2

Myk Reeve

Yeah, that's pretty fun. But not as fun as trying to get into the station on a Sunday afternoon. Or for that matter, get out of it in the summertime, when a million tourists all wait immediately outside the station exit for their equally idiotic friends to arrive.


Fun at Camden Town

Post 3

Huw B

What about the famous Camden 'Wind Tunnel' effect on the escalators when there is a lot of train movement?

Is this the most powerful wind effect on London Underground?

(serious answers please!)


Fun at Camden Town

Post 4

Elliott

Camden Town is pretty windy, but I blame that on all of the veggy food served at the market. smiley - winkeye

Try coming up the escilators towards surface level at Holborn. It's much windier than Camden... be careful of bits of grit and dust flying into your eyes though!


Fun at Camden Town

Post 5

Huw B

I used to work in Holborn and commute via Camden. My vote still goes to Camden as the windiest, but this is only when you get the right combination of train movements - remember that there can be 4 arriving/departing at the same time, and all comparatively near the escalator for a tube station.


Fun at Camden Town

Post 6

amdsweb

I used to work at Barts, by St. Paul's. The teeny weeny escalator from the Westbound level to the Eastbound level often has a ferocious wind, dragging up all kinds of detritus from the platform. Many a time I've come across a multiple commuter pile-up at the bottom of the escalator because some poor besuited fool had been temporarily blinded by the sports pages of the Sun being plastered to his face by the wind, causing him to miss the bottom of the escalator. My how we laughed!


Fun at Camden Town

Post 7

Drool Frood the Second

Sorry to digress but judging by your name you sound like a Eurovision Fan....True or just coincidence?


Fun at Camden Town

Post 8

amdsweb

Its all a tissue of lies.
I just saw the opportunity to call myself bingbangabang(bong), rather than just plain old Adam.


Fun at Camden Town

Post 9

Drool Frood the Second

Well I suppose we won't mix you up with anyone else!!!!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more