h2g2 MI Guidelines

0 Conversations


These guidelines are only a first attempt at writing something like this. As they get discussed, they will get modified. If you have any comments please post below.

Why do we need guidelines


Maths is a very structured subject. It needs strong logic and strict adherence to rules. This leads many people to believe that maths is dull, doesn't apply to real life and is impersonal. One of the aims of the h2g2 MI is to correct that impression and get more people interested in maths even as a hobby.

What are the guidelines then?


The current guidelines are as follows:

  1. Keep it light. Just because it is logical, doesn't mean it should be boring. Add humour and anecdotes to make it interesting.
  2. Describe the history. One of the best, and easiest, ways to make maths interesting is to describe the (sometimes checkered) history of a concept. It often makes a great story and image that fixes the idea in the reader's mind.
  3. Give examples. Where it is possible, include examples with commentaries. Describe applications, give sample working. It often clarifies what you mean if you show the tools in use.
  4. Give questions. Questions give interested readers the chance to try out what they have learnt and can give a lot of satisfaction. Include an answer page along with the article with working where appropriate so they can see how they did and what they did wrong.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A482474

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more