Squarepusher Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Squarepusher

2 Conversations

Squarepusher is a pseudonym of Tom Jenkinson, a drum and bass jazz musician. His musical style has evolved over his career which has, in less than five years, included over four albums and countless EPs and remixes.

Growing up in a musical family1, Tom Jenkinson was discovered at the age of 21 by Ninja Tune Records. His first song on that label was a masterful remix of DJ Food's 'Scratch Yer Hed', which included live bass and keyboards over a sampled jungle beat. However, he did not stay long at Ninja Tune records, instead joining Warp Records on the advice of Richard D James (also known as the Aphex Twin).

What began as a promising career as a drum and bass musician soon took a wild turn, as Jenkinson randomly switched musical styles in order to begin a promising career as a 'something else' musician. Recordings like 'Music Is Rotted One Note' and 'Budakhan Mindphone' have sometimes been compared to the work of Miles Davis on classic albums such as Bitches Brew.

Though still quite young and early into his career, Squarepusher has already produced a diverse catalogue of music... though it is unlikely that any of it will enter the domain of top 40 hits.

1His father is a jazz drummer.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A442900

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more