Avocado Salsa Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Avocado Salsa

2 Conversations

Most people first encounter salsa as a mix of tomatoes, onions and peppers. While this can be pretty good, there's a lot more to salsa than tomatoes. Here is an example of a tomato-less salsa. This particular salsa is great with chips, tacos, burritos and such. It doesn't do well when cooked, though.

Ingredients

  • 3 or 4 jalapeno chillies1
  • 2 - 4 cloves of garlic
  • 6 spring onions2
  • 1 lime
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 small orange, or half a large one
  • 2 - 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (aka coriander)
  • 2 large avocados

Method

  1. Toast the jalapenos, garlic and spring onions over medium heat without oil. Put things in a few at a time. Roll them around and press them down with a spatula until they are blistered and slightly blackened. This really helps the flavour.

  2. Mash the jalapenos, garlic and spring onions in a molcajete which is a large lava stone mortar and pestal. If you don't have one, you can use a food processor instead. When the mixture looks like a chunky paste, you're done.

  3. Juice the lemon, lime and orange. Add to the jalapeno mixture. Add the cilantro as well.

  4. Scoop the avocado into the mixture as well. There's a seed about the size of a golf ball in the avocado. To prepare, cut the avocado in half, lengthwise, going around the seed. Give the avocado a twist and it should separate into two halves. Grab a spoon and spoon the flesh out of the skin and into the salsa. To get the seed out, carefully saw into the seed with a sharp knife. When the knife is stuck in good, give it a quarter twist and out comes the seed. Mix everything with a fork. The salsa should still have some chunks of avocado and such, rather than a smooth paste.

  5. Serve with chips.

This salsa is best the day it is made, but will keep in the refrigerator for a few days if covered. Some of the citrus will separate, so give it a good stir.

1Any fresh chillies will do, just try not to let the heat overwhelm the avocado. Serrano peppers are particularly good.2These are also great lightly grilled with some lime juice for a quick appetizer.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A413641

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more