Emily the Strange : A Pop Culture Phenomenon

3 Conversations

Emily the Strange is a thirteen-year-old girl devised as an Internet cartoon. She has since become a pop culture phenomenon. According to the Emily the Strange home page, "she is anti-cool, a subculture of one, and a follower of no one but herself. She is the anti-hero for the Do It Yourself movement"(Emily the Strange Home Page). Her style of dress is gothic. She has long black hair with bangs, wears a short black dress, black stockings, and white Mary Jane shoes.

Emily has four black cats, Mystery, Miles, Sabbath, and Nee-Chee, which are manifestations of Emily's traits. Mystery is the leader of the pack of cats. Miles is creative and an improviser. Sabbath is her mischievous cat, and Nee-Chee is pensive. Emily is an individual, a leader, creative, unique, always up to something, and devises well thought out plans, with precision execution.

Emily has created many things in her short lifetime. “Emily may be little...but she thinks big”( She creates Zonsters, the "odd-I-see" machine, and runs a ghoul school(Emily's Secret Book of Stange, 36-39). Her life works, though varied, have one common theme; they all require looking at life from a different angle.

Emily creates Zonsters, patchwork monster dolls, to be her friends. Jinx, an evil cat, is one of Emily’s first Zonsters. He is a world traveler with poor vision, so he relies on his other senses to take him to his far off locations. Emily too ignores one of her senses, her hearing. “Emily hears everything...and listens to nothing” (Emily's Secret Book of Strange, 14-17). This can be extrapolated to mean that although she is aware of what others say, she chooses not to listen to them, and makes her own decisions.

Nekky is another of her dolls. Nekky’s head unzips to reveal his brain. He sees everything but knows nothing, which can be interpreted two different ways. He is unintelligent or perhaps though he sees all that goes on, he is unwilling to divulge any information.

Thin Lizzy is the most human looking of the Zonsters. She is a skinny girl with absurdly long legs and arms. She is an escape artist, and is able to see right through you. This ability is closely related to Emily’s own belief that what you see is not what you always get, the notion that people are shrouded in a projected image based on what they want others to see. “Emily believes...seeing is deceiving”(Emily the Strange, 9-12).

Snorey & Gorey is Emily’s last Zonster. It is a two-headed doll where each head has its own opinions and actions. This doll represents Emily’s theory that the route one chooses to take in life is unimportant, so long as you go somewhere. “It doesn’t matter which way you go...as long as you get lost”(Emily's Secret Book of Strange, 32-35). The phrase “get lost” is both an encouragement to travel to previously unknown areas, and at times is an instruction to leave(Emily the Strange Home Page). As is evidenced by her collection of Zonsters, Emily is creative, and she embraces her individuality.

Emily created the "odd-I-see" machine out of items she found in her garage. The "odd-I-see" allows for data input and reveals the future from what is entered, along with sage advice. “Emily holds the future in her own hands”(Emily the Strange, 39). This may be taken both literally and figuratively. She can tell what will happen in the future by using her homemade "odd-I-see", which is powered by a Ouija board, Magic 8 Ball, Etch-a-Sketch, and clock with thirteen hours. This quote also tells us that Emily creates her own future by doing what she pleases. Emily is both inventive and courageous. A couple of pieces of advice that the "odd-I-see" transmitted are “Emily can see through you, Emily records her nightmares, and that watching an unplugged TV is better for your mind”(Emily's Secret Book of Strange, 42-43). This illustrates the fact that Emily is perceptive, that she does not let external appearances fool her, that she faces her demons and problems head on, and that she encourages using one’s own inherent creativity and imagination for entertainment.

Emily has established a ghoul school. Its mission is to educate, foster creativity and self-expression, and to push one's self beyond his or her comfort zone in order to experience life. By completing specified tasks, one earns “demerit” badges. Some examples of the badges offered and their requirements are as follows: "Superstitious is Nutritious" encourages one to defy superstition and record what happens; "No Place Like Alone" tells one to spend the day alone and come up with three things you learned about yourself in the process; "Agent Strange" says to sit in darkness in silence as long as possible just to see what happens when your mind and body are quiet; "Don’t Speak" instructs you not to argue but to simply revel in the idiotic stuff the other person says in the process; and "Strange Brain" says to go out of your way to learn about something you had no idea you would be interested in (Emily's Ghoul School). The ghoul school is a manifestation of Emily’s personal beliefs. It encourages one to follow Emily’s lead, and not to search to belong (Emily the Strange, 2) but rather to play by your own rules (Emily the Strange, 20). Emily is the physical representation of the notion that one can only be truly happy and excel if she is faithful to who she is.

To me, Emily is a strong female role model. She always does what she wants without fear of ridicule. She believes that independence, free thought, originality, creativity, and learning are all keys to happiness. She reminds me to look at things differently, and try to discern what is underneath the exterior. Emily encourages me to have a little fun, that life is too short and one must embrace it whole-heartedly. Many people see Emily merely as a little girl who dresses in gothic clothing and surrounds herself with darkness. However, upon examination we see that she does not reside merely in nightmares, but rather, on a bridge between dreams and nightmares. She is the manifestation of our inner minds, both good and bad.

Rob Reger, the creator of Emily the Strange, has clearly redefined what a role model is. A typical role model is someone who exhibits exemplary qualities, they are generally human, and there is an element of hero worship involved. It is unusual for cartoons to be portrayed as role models. Emily and her omnipresent four black cats, Mystery, Miles, Sabbath, and Nee-Chee each stand as symbols of a trait that is commonly seen as masculine. Emily herself is slightly androgynous or asexual. Her body has not developed fully into a woman's and in society's eyes she is still allowed to be a tomboy. Her gender role has not been specifically assigned yet. This allows Emily to be a universal role model, for either gender. Emily is bold, and follows her heart. She does not pay attention to what a girl is stereotypically supposed to be or do. She does everything for herself without relying on others for assistance.

The four cats are unusual role models. Mystery represents the notion of being a leader. Miles is the cat that “makes stuff happen”;(Miles' Home Page) he does not wait for things to just occur. Sabbath is the one that looks for and creates mischief. Nee-Chee is the cat that is a thinker and a schemer. As this shows, the four black cats embody qualities commonly seen in men, but are now, with the prevalence of women’s equality, seen more frequently in women. Some one of any gender can aspire to be like Emily and her four black cats.

An examination of Emily’s life works, the creation of Zonsters, the "odd-I-see" machine, and the ghoul school, illustrates Emily's accomplishments. Her works are varied, but all revolve around one central idea, that one needs to try looking at things just a bit differently. She and her ever present four black cats have gone from being an internet cartoon, to being a pop culture phenomenon that influences girls and women alike, indeed every one, to stand up for themselves and embrace their own uniqueness and creativity.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

Reger, Rob. Emily the Strange. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2001.

Reger, Rob. Emily's Secret Book of Strange. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2002.

Emily the Strange Home Page. <http://www.emilystrange.com/beware/about/emily.cfm> (2005)

Miles’ Home Page. <http://emilystrange.com/beware/about/miles.cfm> (2005)

Emily’s Ghoul School. <http://emilystrange.com/beware/ghoulschool/index.cfm> (2005)


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3959661

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more