A Conversation for Why the British Drive on the Left

LH / RH Drive

Post 1

prez

I sometimes take my car to France (from the UK) and notice a slight tendency for it to pull to the right.
Is this because RH drive cars have their suspension and steering biased to the road camber sloping left?
Any mechanics out there to confirm this, or should I get my steering checked?


LH / RH Drive

Post 2

Gan

Surely you'd be more used to the car pulling on the camber off to the left as it is in the UK. So when you go galavanting off to the continent you overcompensate. That with the disorientation of driving on the wrong side of the road psychologically magnifies the effect...QED?

could be utter bollards, but seems to make some sense to me.


LH / RH Drive

Post 3

prez

Bollards point the other way too.
I'm sorry but I don't go with your theory but who's to tell?


LH / RH Drive

Post 4

plaguesville


Prez,
After a few years of having successive Volvo 340s, both of which pulled to the left in the UK but steered straight enough, hands off the wheel, in France. There was no abnormal tyre wear and no one seemed to mind, not even my wife.
We've now got a Rover 214 which cares not a jot what the road camber. It only varies from the straight & narrow when requested.
What do you know of the origins of your motor's components and/or designers?


LH / RH Drive

Post 5

prez

This one is a Rover 800 as was the last car I had - don't remember if I had the same problem with the Cavalier (Vectra)


LH / RH Drive

Post 6

plaguesville


Oh, well,
So much for that theory.
Sorry.
The Volvos stayed slightly straighter with the nearside tyres at (slightly) higher pressures than the offside - near to the "fully laden" recommended figure.
Not that I'm suggseting you should try it.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more