A Conversation for Why the British Drive on the Left

?

Post 1

hastur

i had a dream about driving in england recently. i have never been to england and the dream involved me and my wife driving in one of those little enlgish cars (i think they call them lorry's). well anyway the main point of the dream (i think) was about a mental problem i was having in deciding who got the right of way when everything is based on a left oriented system. odd that this entry would pop up on the day after i had the dream. the countryside i was driving in was from old tv shows about britiania and the intersections were also from a tv influenced view of the country. kinda like driving in that show Keeping up Appearances. oh well.


?

Post 2

Lotte

Although I had some very impressive experiences not getting run over by left side drivers in London (who, strangely, did expect me to check to the right for oncoming motorists and not, as long years of training force me to, to the left), when I think of leftside driving, my imagerie is very influenced by TV as well. An hour ago I watched a british movie and though I get used very fast to all them occupying the wrong side of the road smiley - winkeye I was very irritated when one of the characters wanred to hitchhike and the car that finally took her in entered the screen from the right and not from the left, as I was convinced it would, because they always do.
Well, that's surely something to tell the world about. Pleasant dreams! smiley - smiley


?

Post 3

Underground Caroline

Um, we drive on the left in the rest of Britian too, not just in England.


?

Post 4

Underground Caroline

Oh, and lorrys are large articulated trucks. Maybe you're thinking of minis?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more