The tie in modern life

2 Conversations

The history of the tie is probably well documented and understood1 but its function and use in modern life is often misunderstood - not least by those wearing the tie.

Your basic tie, as in "suit and tie" breaks down to one of four distinct types: The company tie, the old school tie, the black tie and the comedy tie.2

The company tie

The company tie is usually an integral part of the company uniform which is used to identify them. People who are in company uniform are those people who are wandering around your building but who don't actually work for the same company as yourself (such as the photocopier repair man) or those people whom you would not ordinarily approach except that they are wearing the uniform of a service provider from whom you need a service (such as employees of McDonalds or Railtrack). One of the less well known things about the company tie is why it should match the company trousers...or at least it does so in my experience.

The old school tie

The old school tie is a tie which is designed to tell the observer which school you came from. This only really works if the observer knows which school that represents and if this fact is some cause for celebration. My own old school tie is a black,white and red striped thing not unlike some poisonous Pacific snake - except that of course the tie is a constrictor. I tend not to wear it however, as there isn't a great deal of milage to be gained from being ex. alumnus of Caistor Grammar School3 when you are working in an American company in Dublin, Ireland.

The black tie

The phrase "black tie" is actually used to describe formal dress. If you receive an invitation with the phrase "black tie" printed on it, you have been invited to a formal occaision and will be expected to dress accordingly. You should wear a tie4 (unless you can manage a cravat without looking stupid) but it needn't be black at all. This is also a cue that a waistcoat may be appropriate - something which should be encouraged by wearing the loudest waistcoat you can find.

The comedy tie

A comedy tie is one on which is printed something that the person who gave you thought was humourous. It probably isn't.

1If not, dash of and do so and don't come back until you're finished2Those looking for a definition of family ties will be dissappointed, as these are what keeps you from throttling your siblings in times of stress whereas all the otheres previously mentioned are what you could use should they fail3Ironically the link, like the education, doesn't really get you very far4If you are a chap, that is. Women are rarely expected to wear ties.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A378687

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more