A Conversation for The Olympic Games

Other 'Olympics'

Post 1

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

The Olympics have become such a popular tradition that various off-shoots and knock-offs have been launched worldwide. These are attempts to focus positive attention on issues that might otherwise be overlooked in the international arena.

The most famous of these is the Special Olympics, which was created to boost awareness of and self-esteem among the mentally challenged. The X-Games were more recently created to feature so-called extreme sports such as snowboarding and roller blading that the IOC have refused to include in the mainstream Olympics. And another traditional off-shoot is the Gay Games, which were created in the 1980s to highlight the athletic abilities of sexual minority athletes. The strangest off-shoot is probably the Linguistic Olympics, which is exactly what it sounds like.


Other 'Olympics'

Post 2

Technoyokel (muse of poetry)

There's also the h2g2 olympics that is about to start on http://www.h2g2.com/A440227. There's sports like getting lost in the woods, the deckchair gymnastics and the beer drinking marathon...


Other 'Olympics'

Post 3

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Woo hoo! I didn't know about the h2g2 Olympics. Thanks, Technoyokel.


Other 'Olympics'

Post 4

Technoyokel (muse of poetry)

Well they have only just started! There are one or two competitors- getting lost in the woods is popularsmiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post