A Conversation for 'Green Eggs and Ham' - The Children's Book

The Good Doctor

Post 1

Narla C

smiley - smileyHi Jimi! Nice entry!
Looks like you admire the doc as much as I do. Make sure you get your hands on a book called 'The Secret Art of Dr. Suess.' (You may have already, but Hey! Anyone else out there..get it!) It's like a walk through the good doctor's head. Some of the images are silly, some surreal, some playfully erotic--some a powerhouse combination. If you grew up with Dr. Suess, you'll appreciate the familiar artwork. Folks who feast on color will have their fill and a bit more. All will enjoy seeing where the man lived (cranially.)


The Good Doctor

Post 2

Jimi X

He also did some amazing propoganda work during WW2.

I've seen this one in the local public library, but have resisted the temptation so far.


WW2 Props

Post 3

Narla C

Jump in and look Jimi...Art doesn't kill people (well, heck, maybe in this case it does) blah blah blah. Now I'm gonna have to go find a book on that stuff.
McL


WW2 Props

Post 4

AlexoOo

Hi

You can see some of the war posters by typing "Dr Seuss Propaganda" into Google. The results are mainly cartoons promoting bonds and stamps to assist with the war effort.


WW2 Props

Post 5

Narla C

Wow! Thanks for that. Really fascinating! There is a section of how the "children's books" were really allegories for grown-up hang ups--anti-semitism, the arms race, protection of minortity rights. I always knew that they were parables, but I didn't realize the literal really really real topics he was pointing at. Sorry, I get all excited and start babbling (yup, I can babble on a keyboard. It's a gift.)


WW2 Props

Post 6

Jimi X

You've convinced me!

I'll check it out next time I get into town. smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more