Basel, third largest town of Switzerland, swimming in the river Rhine

1 Conversation

Some hundred years ago, Basel was a very important town, because there was the first bridge to cross the Rhine the whole way up from Rotterdam. This bridge war partly made of wood and of stone, because the current on the western side of the river was much stronger than on the eastern side. Therefore the eastern part of the bridge was built by stone, to last, and the western part of it was built by wood, because one could rebuild it faster and cheaper after floods.

In 1901 the bridge was rebuilt completely in stone as it stands now.

In summer, many people go swimming in the rhine, some directly after work, some during the weekend. You can even buy waterproof bags in which you can store your clothes and valulables. They do function!

Today, there are about seven bridges in Basel, from which people jump into the river rhine. Of course this is forbidden but this just adds to the thrill. The height of the bridges range from 12 to over 35 meters.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A342226

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more