Motorway Marker Posts - CAC C

0 Conversations

All UK Motorways and some dual carriageways have marker posts placed on the nearside edge of the carriageway usually at 10m intervals. These are white poles, usually about 1m high, white with a red reflective vertical bar on the face and a blue band running around the top. In the blue segment of the post are some numbers. These numbers show the distance to/from the start of that particular road or motorway in kilometres and metres.

Most motorways start at London, (M1, M4, M3) so that the marker posts can be used to tell which direction you are travelling in; towards or away from London. Some other motorways branch off from other motorways, however, (M5, M69), and the posts on these count up as you drive away from their source.

The junctions on the motorway also increase as you travel from the source, so that, by observing the numbers on the marker posts from one junction you can determine what the number of the next junction will be.

Marker posts also indicate the direction to the nearest emergency telephone, with a 'phone' symbol on the side of the post and an arrow. The posts can also be used to locate a specific point on the motorway for emergency services, breakdown recovery, etc. The posts will not show which side of the motorway you are on though (Northbound, Southbound, etc) so for this you must check as above and consult your map.

Because they are spaced out at regular intervals, the posts can be used to accurately check your speed if you want to calibrate the speedometer in your vehicle.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3345725

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more