The Only Café, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

1 Conversation

'GUINESS. For Stength!'

Located at 217 Hunter Street West in Peterborough, in the heart of downtown along side the creek, the Only Café is the center of the subcultural community.

The Café Proper

The walls are adorned with pop-culture and local memorabilia that has been accumulating since the place opened in 19901.

This café is astounding not because of the food (which can be great; but see below for further detail), and not because of the coffee (though some swear it is addictive2), and certainly not because of the owner (who can be a bit crabby) but because of the people.

From the moment it opens until the moment they drag some folks out kicking and screaming you will find a facinating pastiche of humanity at the Only. Old, young -- drunk, sober -- sane, rampantly insane -- secure, depressed -- needing, giving -- dark, bright ... In this one smallish café you will find a microcosm of society with prime examples of the best and worst of us. It is really hard to describe the atmosphere, the colour of this place; but maybe a small series of images can give a close approximation:

  • Beer-sticky coffee-cured laquered wood tables, thick with candle wax in the centre.

  • Thousands of pairs of eyes staring at you from the walls. Some familiar, some not; some artistic some frighteningly alive.

  • Smoke curling up through the air, clinging to clothing, cloying in people's throats in that annoying but somehow oddly comforting way.

  • Tables adorned with dog-eared scripts, well-worn novels and ecletically assembled chess sets in mid-play.

  • Laughter all around you, and sometimes, tears.

The Gordon Best Theater

The upper section of the café is the Gordon Best3 Theater. A multi-use space, the 'Gordie Best' is a small theater and concert space that used to try an be a gourmet bistro, but now simply doubles as an overflow space for the café when it's not rented out for special events such as the frequent 'Rainbow Dances'4.

The Patio

The patio area is the place to be in summer. Surrounded by a giant sunflower mural on one side and the creek resplendant with overgrowing greenery on the other, it is a private hardwood bastion of peace and joy. And ocationally darts.

Food and Drink

A sumarry of this quirky little mainly-student-supported pub would not be complete without a word or two about the food -- which ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous, depending on who is working on any given day5

  • The Cowgirl Breakfast -- Scrambled Eggs, Brie, Mushrooms, a Bagel and Carrot Sticks: A vegetarian delight!

  • Jerome's Greek Salad -- Piled high with Feta: Yum!! But Bring a Mint ..

  • The Ginger Mick Salad -- Fresh Turkey, Lettuce, Avocado, Cheddar, Tomatos and Pita with a Green Onion Dressing: A masterpiece big enough for two.


Another boasting point for the Only is a decent selection of imported and domestic beers and ciders, with a rotating 6 or so on tap.

The Vortex

The Only is a meeting place -- a port of travel (located one street north of both local and inter-city bus terminals), a market and a mecca. For many, the Only is the first and last place they see of Peterborough, and the place they go to meet, greet, and cavort. A must stopover for any road-weary hitch-hiker.

There is a common theory that there is a giant magnet underneath this place that draws everyone there, repeatedly, for the rest of their lives, after their first visit. So don't be surprised if someday you find yourself at the lip of 'the vortex'.

Cheers!
1Though much of it is much older.2The secret is the cinnamon.3An airman from the local area who was lost in battle.4Dances that are open to everyone, especially to gay, lesbian and bisexual people looking to dance in a safe atmosphere.5If you are lucky, Bill is working.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A315758

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more