Nintendo Entertainment System

1 Conversation

The year is 1983, the eve of the Video Game market crash. A small and largly unknowen Japanese company, Nintendo, creates the Famicom (Family Computer) in Japan. It's released more as a home computer system that a video game, even though it's released with ports of Nintendo's popular arcade games Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong.

Atari, now failing as a company with their new "quantity over quality" technique, is offered to market the Famicom in the US by Nintendo. Atari declines, instead deciding to stake their fortune in the soon-to-be-doomed Atari 7800. Big mistake. Nintendo then decides to market the console themselves.

As part of the Famicom-to-NES conversion, Nintendo creates the first lockout device, 10NES, which was stored in each NES cartridge to prevent illegal and unlicenced cartridges from working on the NES.

In 1985, the NES is released in America. People are reluctant to buy it, still recovering from "the great crash." Soon enough, buyers decide to trust this new company and buy it, among some new and popular games, such as the original Super Mario Bros. It quickly establishes itself as the dominant console, beating all others in sales 10:1.

The NES was an 8-bit cartridge-based console. It's popularity rose not because of superior power (the Sega Master System, released around the same time was more powerful but less popular), but because of Nintendo's successful first-party games and special long term agreements with popular third-party developers such as Capcom.

The NES was officially discontinued in 1995, making it's OLS (Official Life Span, my own term) 11 years. It's SLS (Supported Life Span, also my term) was 6 years, lasting from it's rise in popularity in 1986, to it's inevitable decline in 1992. The decline was caused by the advent of newer 16-bit systems, such as the Sega Genesis and Nintendo's own Super NES.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A305524

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more