Polenta Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Polenta

5 Conversations

In recent times, any unsuspecting person who has decided to dine at an Italian restaurant may have found themselves confronted by an ever-more bewildering list of exotic dishes, usually containing something sun-dried or balsamic, ingredients which appear on the menu with no adequate explanation of their nature or origin.

Such a beast is polenta, an Italian maize meal foodstuff which has become the mashed potato of the Millennium for trendy TV chefs. Polenta, in its traditional Italian form, is boiled into a sort of porridge-like goo, usually in vast quantities. It consists almost entirely of pure carbohydrate, and its gut-bloating potential is further compounded by the addition of artery-wrecking quantities of butter and parmesan cheese. It is then spread in what can only be described as a dollop on a large wooden board and attacked communally by those present, usually a large family.

Polenta has also started appearing on Italian menus, usually in a much daintier and more expensive form. More fashionable diners can often be seen nibbling small slices of it, left to cool, then char-grilled and served with day-glo lettuce with unpronounceable names. One often wonders if they know it's just boiled corn.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A304219

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more