Text Editor

1 Conversation


A text editor is a computer program to write plain text. While most of the time they are used only for quick and dirty jobs, some of them have baffling functionalities tailored to some specific application domains.

Definition


A text editor is a piece of software that enables you to enter text into your computer. This text is saved exactly as you have typed it, with no other information (formatting especially, this is the difference with word processors). These files are sometimes said to be saved in ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) or as text files.

Uses


The use of text editors is limited to applications where the a pleasing presentation to the human eye is less important than the entered information. Most of the time, they are used to create files that other tools on your computer can use. This means most of the times that you use a text editor for programming purposes (where programming is taken in the wide sense: telling the computer what to do or automating some tasks). That means that some editors have special functionality catering for the needs of programmers: possibility to call other programs with the edited file as input, searching for the matching bracket... on top of more usual functionalities like cut & paste, search & replace.


This question is more academic, but I haven't been able yet to decide if WYSIWYG-editors for HTML are to be counted as text-editors or word processors. My idea is that they should be classified as word processors/publishing software, but on the other hand they produce plain ASCII-files... This is subject for discussion or even a religion war?

What editors are there?


You can always use the editors provided on your computer system, but they are quite basic: while they get the job done, they do not help you a lot. If you are looking for editors with more power that are available on more than one operating system (it is so much easier not to have to start all over again all the time you get to a new machine/OS), you will probably have to look at one of these:


If your favourite editor is not in the list (with only two entries, the chances are quite high), please let me know, I will be glad to add it (if it is an editor present on different platforms with extended abilities).


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A278994

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more