Thermos History

0 Conversations

If you've ever taken an introductory physics class, you'll know that heat is really the way we large things experience increased molecular motion. Heat is transmitted from one object to another by gazillions of molecules zinging around and jostling one another. So it seems logical that if you remove all the molecules between two objects, creating a vacuum, heat won't pass between them.

In 1892 Sir James Dewar at Oxford University put this notion to pracical use by inventing the vacuum flask. Being an academic type, he used this for research. Soon enough, though, the practical mavens got into the act, and in 1904 two German glass blowers held a contest to come up with a better name than "vacuum flask". A resident of Munich submitted "Thermos" (from the Greek therme, hot) and so Thermos GmbH1was born. The English boffins became the first to invent a machine to make the glass fillers in 1907.

Thermos GmbH sold trademark rights to the American Thermos Bottle Company (Brooklyn, New York), Thermos Limited (Tottenham), and Canadian Thermos Bottle Co. Ld. (Montreal, Quebec). All four companies proceeded to develop the technology.

Famous users of early Thermos products included Shackelton on his trips to the antarctic and Peary on his trips to the arctic; Roosevelt in Africa; and the Wright Brothers, Amelia Earhart and Count Zeppelin in the air.

In World War II, Thermos output went almost exclusively to the military. One notable fact: every time 1000 bombers went out on a raid, 10 to 12 thousand Thermos flasks went along for the ride.

In 1960, the U.S., U.K, and Canadian companies were all purchased by the King-Seeley company to form the King-Seeley Thermos Company. In 1968 this merged company became a wholly owned subsidiary of Chicago's Household Finance Company (later renamed to Household International). Yes, the same people who brought you Thermos flasks in those days also bring you second mortgages.

Of course, the sixties were the high-water mark of conglomerate companies, and in the succeeding decades many of them were broken up. Household was no exception to this rule. In 1989, the Thermos operating companies of the U.S., U.K., Canada and Australia were bought by Nippon Sanso KK of Tokyo. Nippon Sanso had pioneered the steel vacuum bottle, an alternative to the glass bottle that didn't break when you dropped it (how many school children opened a lunch to find shards of glass in their milk?). A bit later they also bought the French and German Thermos companies, ending up with the trademark rights in 15 countries.

Nowadays the Thermos is so ubiquitous as to be practically invisible. We accept as a given that there will be one in every lunchbox and picnic box. One wonders what Sir Dewar would have thought of all this...and whether such a thing could happen again in this era of venture capitalists?

1GmbH is roughly the German equivalent of Ltd.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A263909

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more