Early Iron Maiden band members

1 Conversation

The rate this article gets updated will depend on how quickly I can read Run To The Hills (which is the official Iron Maiden biography). I have read it once before and was fascinated by Iron Maiden's early history. Previously the multitude of band members had only been names on an enhanced CD, but with the oldies (briefly) recounting their days in Maiden, man I was hooked. Here I will list each lineup, how long it lasted, band members and why they left. Like
I said, I'm reading Run To The Hills a second time and taking the opportunity to write this while I'm at it, so be patient.

I will go up to Clive Burr, and then stop. After Clive left the Maiden lineup was pretty much stable until Adrian Smith left about 10 years later, and everyone is well familier with Maiden's recent history. But if everyone shows demand, then I may include post-Clive lineup changes too. Your call.

Christmas Day 1975 - Mid 1976

  • Steve Harris - bass
  • Dave Sulliven - guitar
  • Ron 'Rebel' Matthews - drums
  • Paul Day - vocals
  • Terry Rance - guitar

Competant all-round musicians, Paul had simply left the band when Dave came back from a holiday. Good singer, lacking in a bit of on-stage charisma.

Mid 1976 - Late 1976

  • Steve Harris - bass
  • Dave Sullivan - guitar
  • Ron Matthews - drums
  • Dennis Wilcock - vocals
  • Terry Rance - guitar

With a new singer that provided all the charisma they needed: Dennis was a massive Kiss fan. He'd go up with a massive star painted over his right eye, run a sword over his lips and spit out fake blood, pretend to bite the guitarist as he tried to play a solo. Good hard stuff that people stereotype Heavy Metal with.

During this time Steve ended up meeting Dave Murray, who was a stonking guitarist. Steve wanted Dave in the band, but Dave and Terry weren't so sure. Steve temporarily disbanded Maiden, but when it started again it was with guess who...

Late 1976 - End of 1976

  • Steve Harris - bass
  • Dave Murray - guitar
  • Ron Matthews - drums
  • Dennis Wilcock - vocals
  • Bob Sawyer - guitar

The band had re-started, Dave S and Terry R hadn't been told! Bob came a bit later after a bit of advertising.

Bob Sawyer was a good guitarist, but was a bit keen to upstage Dave. Dave could play his guitar with his teeth and behind his back, a la Jimi Hendrix. Bob tried to impersonate this, and this lead to at least one confrontation with Steve.

1977 - Spring 1977

  • Steve Harris - bass
  • Terry Wapram - guitar
  • Barry Purkis - drums
  • Dennis Wilcock - vocals
  • Tony Moore - keyboards

A drastic line-up change, and Maiden's biggest low in the '70s. This lineup lasted for just one gig.

Dennis had started up a little rift between Dave and Bob, apparently misquoting something that Dave had said about Bob. Both parties were understandably miffed. It resulted in both guitarists being fired from the band. Dave joined his friend Adrian Smith's band, Urchin.

A Melody Maker advert brought in Tony, and Terry was an old friend of Dennis. Barry was drafted in at the last minute to replace Ron, who had quit the band a few days before the gig. The gig at the Bridgehouse was a disaster, with Barry swearing at the audience halfway through a mucked up drum solo. Steve wasn't happy with the keyboards, and afterwards, whilst talking with ex-Smiler (Steve's previous band) drummer Doug Sampson, he made it clear that there were
to be changes.

Dennis wasn't happy with this. He, Terry and Barry all wore heavy make-up onstage, and Dennis wanted to keep a theatrical element in Iron Maiden's show. Plus, he wasn't happy with Steve's domineering attitude. Dennis quit the band just before a gig, and refused to help
them out. Eventually all three went on to form V1. Barry later joined NWOBHM band Samson, under a different name...

Spring 1977 - November 1978

  • Steve Harris - bass
  • Dave Murray - guitar
  • Doug Sampson - drums

On the lookout for a singer, spending the time rehearsing.

November 1978 - June 1979

  • Steve Harris - bass
  • Dave Murray - guitar
  • Doug Sampson - drums
  • Paul Di'Anno - vocals

After a tip-off from a barman and an audition, Paul Di'Anno got the job as Iron Maiden's singer. Paul had known Def Leppard's Phil Collen as a child, and that's just one crazy fact about the man!

Then, of course, Maiden needed a second guitarist...

June 1979 - January 1980

  • Steve Harris - bass
  • Dave Murray - guitar
  • Doug Sampson - drums
  • Paul Di'Anno - vocals
  • Paul Cairns, Paul Todd, Tony Parsons

In the second half of 1979 Maiden went through three different guitarists, trying to get a match for Dave Murray. Paul Cairns lasted three months, and turned up late for his first gig, which didn't set a good example. Paul Todd didn't even make his first gig, because his girlfriend wouldn't let him turn up. Finally, they got to Tony Parsons, and with him the band recorded their demo at Spaceward.

Well that's as far as I've got to in the book, come back in a few weeks and there will be more here in the meantime why don't you read all the stuff on my homepage?

As you may or may not have realised, I've tarted up this article with the intentions of maybe submitting it to the official guide. What do you lot think? Come on, just because you're not a Maiden fan!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A252280

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more