The Nag Hammadi Codices

2 Conversations

The Discovery

The Nag Hammadi codices are easily the second most important discovery of the early Christian era, rivaled only by the Dead Sea Scrolls. They were discovered buried in the sands of the Nag Hammadi region of Upper Egypt in December of 1945 by a pair of Bedoins who were digging up nitrates with which to fertilize their fields. They suffered extensive damage as they were seperated, traded, sold, and in the case of one codice, burned, by the ignorant Bedoins who knew not their value. Eventually, the codices found their way into the hands of antiquities dealers who understood their significance, and from there were acquired by the Egyptian Department of Antiquities. Today the entire collection rests in Cairo's Coptic Museum.

What They Are

A codex is an ancient form of a bound book, in this case stacks of papyrus sheets folded down the middle and bound together. There are twelve codices in all, plus eight leaves from a thirteenth found tucked inside another. These contain a total of fifty-two tractates, all written in Coptic, which is simply the Egytian language written down with Greek characters.

The tractates represent a broad range of material, taken from different authors, from different time periods, and different viewpoints. An excerpt from Plato's Republic, at first glance, seems oddly misplaced with Hermetic discourses and apocryphal Christian texts. Through further study, a pattern begins to emerge. The collection represents the philosophy and ideals of Gnosticism, one of the very first Christian heresies. So early, in fact, that oblique references to it exist in the New Testament.

Gnoticism

With the discovery came a chance to learn about ancient Gnosticism from sources other than mainstream Chrisitianity, and hear their views from their own mouth, as it were. Gnosticism was a dualistic belief system. They believed everything in the world was a battlefield for the forces of good, represented by God, against the forces of evil. They believed that the creation of Earth and man were the results of a cosmic catastrophe. Good created the world as a boundary with evil, and evil invaded.

The animosity from the Church seems to be mutual, as one tractate contains quotes attributed to Jesus himself which criticize what eventually became mainstream Christianity. The core of the religion was a belief that salvation comes from insights into a secret knowledge. Gnostics believed that the Christian ressurection was already a spiritual reality, and this belief was the heart of the confrontation. When mainstream Christianity converted the Emperor Constantine, the fate of Gnoticism was sealed. By the 5th century, Gnosticism was completely eradicated, with the sole exception of a small enclave in southern Iraq, called the Mandeans, who still survive today.

The Texts

As mentioned before, the tractates cover a wide range of subjects, and come from a variety of sources. Some are difficult to attribute to Gnosticism, instead reflecting other mystery schools active at that time, such as Zoroastrianism*, Hermeticism*, and Neoplatonism*. However, the Gnostics were much more open-minded than their Christian brethren. So long as they could find concordance with the beliefs detailed in a tractate, they accepted it and incorporated it into their own.

Among the apocryphal Christian texts is the Gospel of Thomas, which, since its discovery, some churches have added to their canon. It is a collection of the sayings of Jesus, and appears to have been used as a source for the writers of the Four Gospels. Biblical scholars had long believed in the existence of a single source of Jesus' sayings, which they call "Q." The current concensus is that Thomas is not the original Q, but a copy of sorts once removed. Other notable Christian apocrypha are a letter to Phillip from Peter, gospels from Phillip and Mary Magdalene, and various apocalyptic books comparable to the book of Revelations, although their content differs widely from Revelations.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A250426

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more