Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

4 Conversations

Adelaide, capital of South Australia, is gracious, spacious and green. The state of South Australia has a population of 1.4 million - most of these people live along the coast and in the capital city, Adelaide. With its Mediterranean climate, fine food and wines, numerous festivals and events, kilometres of clean, sandy beaches and more sunshine than is decently allowed, Adelaide is either a great holiday destination or a nice quiet place to live, depending where you're coming from.

Adelaide is a planned city, and the original layout has been built upon over the years. The city has a kilometre of parklands that box it in around four main roads, the North, South, East and West Terraces. It is famous for being very easy to get around - you will rarely get lost in Adelaide.

A short ride on the free City Loop bus service will bring you to Adelaide's Central Markets. Here you may indulge your senses with a stunning range of fresh produce from South Australia and beyond. Neighbouring Gouger Street offers cuisine from around the world. Chinatown is located in the heart of this precinct with an eye-catching gateway and lanterns beckoning shoppers and diners alike. Further afield is The Jam Factory Craft and Design Centre. In addition to its two galleries and two superb retail shops, the Jam Factory has four training workshops involving glass, ceramic, metal and furniture design.

Adelaide is famous for its great pubs and coffee shops*. The East End has now become the fashionable place to be seen, sipping coffee or downing Coopers Sparkling Ales. Places like the Austral and Exeter are famous for great local Adelaide music and Coopers Sparkling Ale on tap.

Links to Adelaide Festivals and Events

  • The Adelaide Fringe Festival - an amazingly vibrant, cosmic arts festival
  • WOMADELAIDE - World Music Festival
  • Artery Party - South Australian youth arts extravaganza

The Adelaide Hills

A small mountain range* only 25 minutes drive from Adelaide. Sparkling with small villages and towns, the Adelaide Hills are well known for their beauty.

Tumbling green countryside, great forests and reservoirs, orchards and market gardens, walking and riding trails, historic townships and a warm welcome greet your arrival. Festivals, country shows and special events add colour and atmosphere to this stunning and hospitable region.

The Adelaide Hills offer something for everyone all year round: Mount Lofty, Stirling, Bridgewater, Aldgate, Mylor, the Torrens Gorge, Onkaparinga Valley, Hahndorf, Mount Barker, Clarendon and the Kuitpo Forest, are all well worth a look.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A248708

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more