The Office of the Anachronism Specialist

1 Conversation

The door of the office hangs lightly ajar, allowing a brief glimpse in the work of the Anachronism Specialist. Several curious objects are scattered across the oak floor, and you can see a photograph of what appears to be a pterodactyl, dated 9th March 2004. And there, leaning against the granite wall, is a spear - the shaft of the weapon is clearly ancient, but the arrowhead seems to be machine-tooled tungsten. Pinned up on the wall next to the spear is a detailed circuit diagram for a modern micro-computer, with the signature of Da Vinci at the bottom of the sheet. Finally, your eye drops onto the crystal skull sitting on the desk, but you were expecting one of those by how. Your mind races, asking several questions all at once. Where have all these objects come from? How can they exist? And what are they doing here?

Anachronism is the study of things which don't fit. Whether they are modern objects appearing in ancient times, or vice versa, they are anachronistic. Many people don't accept that such things are possible. But they happen, they really do. There is only one question that is of any use in this field of study: why? Was someone suddenly inspired beyond the abilities of their peers? Are they the products of an advanced civilation, now lost to our world? Or were they just left lying about by careless time travellers?

There are no easy answers in this field. Unless someone wants to come along and own up, of course.

If you have discovered an anachornism, or wish to put up your hand and accept responsiblity for one, please leave a message for the Specialist.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A2402551

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more