The Touch - a rock n roll band

0 Conversations


[this document was posted to the Alamo mp3c station.]

The Touch is an aptly titled band. These dudes really do have the touch.


I used to say rocknroll was dead. As of Dec. 29th, 1999 my faith has been restored. I went out to Club Dada in Dallas' rough edged Deep Ellum district. These guys opened for a host of other bands and artists, but after they left the stage everything else paled in comparison.


Allow me to paint the stage for you. Facing the band, you got bassist Jim Scott on the left singing harmony, Lee Caropresi on lead guitar and vox, and behind them at Upstage Center is Ken Kirchen on drums. Datz it! This setup was made famous by the Austin based band ZZ Top, but that's where the comparison ends. Their guitars are not like fuzzy dice and they don't have laser light shows like ZZ Top. They just play damn good music.


I was impressed with the look of their guitars. It looks like they went north of Oak Lawn to the fancy homes off Preston street in Dallas, broke into some rich guy's house with precision saws and cut the wood from the backs of fine expensive furniture. Finely crafted, very classy wood and very out of place in their hands. They make love to their axes one minute and then torture them the next. If Jimi Hendrix were still alive and in the bar, I imagined he would nod in approvement.


This is no nonsense, no holds barred, in your face rock. They're listed as Power Pop in mp3c, but don't let that fool you. When live, these guys set the stage on fire. They were apologizing because Jim had recently contracted food poisoning and Lee had back trouble and was playing with a cut finger on his left hand. Any guitarists out there know how excrutiating THAT can be. Try pouring lemon juice into the wound and then electrocuting yourself: that's what it's like to play guitar with a bum hand.


That's nothing though, considering what these boys have been through the past year.


The latest incarnation of this band was forged from the still burning ashes of a now defunct band called Descendant. In April they began cutting the tracks for their new album, some of which you can easily hear live at their website or their mp3 page. They've played gigs all over Deep Ellum and the surrounding areas. It looked like they were going to shoot straight out of the local scene and gamble on the Big Time.


That's when Lee was diagnosed with cancer. A rare form of cancer that threatened to take his life in his prime. They shifted gears. Jim and Ken supported their friend through this tough time. Family and friends shared in the frustration and saw Lee through. They really did Come Together.


If you can imagine it, Lee's been through it all. Radiation therapy. Chemo. Countless prayers and support. The doctors recently diagnosed Lee as cancer free. It's not over, but they're not letting this set back stop them. Ever vigilant, they're back on the circuit and picking up where they left off. This is the sound of a band that has been to the edge and made it back.


They ended their gig that night with a down n dirty rendition of Come Together by the Beatles. I was impressed with the fact they start with intensity where the Beatles left off and skyrocket from there. You could tell they were tired and "walking wounded" as Lee put it. That didn't detract from the sound. If anything, they just use the challenge and pain to amplify the groove, like King Lear at the final turning point of that Shakespearean play, screaming at the raging storms and shaking his fists at the heavens. You can strip a man of his title and all things material, but you cannot crush his spirit.


Granted, you can just download their music at their mp3 site and not buy their album, but talent this powerful with a defiance and sheer will rare to see, deserves as much support as it can get. So naturally I bought their CD. Eleven tracks forged with a fire of conviction. This is why mp3c is here. I wouldn't have known about this wonderful talent practically in my backyard if it weren't for this place.


After the show I went up to Jim and asked if he had change for a twenty. The bar only had ones. He didn't, but found two fives. It's a DAM. They bought several from mp3c and sell them at their gigs. Very wise idea for any serious artists in here who don't have easy access to making a "professional" album for sale. The DAM's better in many respects. Jim also suggested I sign up for their mailing list, which I have.


I told Jim I heard about them from mp3c, which kind of took him by surprise. "Wow! I didn't know that worked!" Well it does. =) He offered me to join them at their booth in the back but they looked exhausted and I didn't wanna play the fawning fan. Besides they were packing up and heading out early. Lee and Ken came over before they left to say goodbye, and they signed the CD for me (thanks guys!).

Support your local talent! It's real easy to do at mp3c. At the front page of the site, just click on Local Music and then find the Events link. Many artists update their calendar information and you can get an overview of what mp3c artists are playing in your area. You may be surprised at the shining gems you'll find in your area.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A237412

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more