'Annie Hall' (1977)

1 Conversation

A film strip

'A nervous romance'


Annie Hall is a superb Woody Allen romantic comedy. It charts the progress of the a relationship between Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) and Annie Hall (Diane Keaton). The films open with a monologue from Alvy as he introduce's his charactor to us. We then go into the film, from whenceon we jump around the timeframe quite alot. However, despite this, the film manages to remain comprehensible. The film leads us through the highs and lows of the relationship before leading to the inevitable break-up. The story is told brilliantly and is funny throughout, whilst succeeding to be fairly serious at times. As well as being about the relationship between Alvy and Annie, there is a fair amount of background into Alvy's character. The film is full of fantastic one-liners, with more quotable dialogue than you can shake an excellent script at.

An Auto-Biography?


This is a semi-autobiographical film. Alvy represents Woody Allen, and they share many traits. Alvy is a neurorotic, Jewish, New York comedian, just like Woody Alle n. Nigh on everything about Alvy's charactor is taken from Woody Allen himself. Though the same is not true for Annie and Diane Keaton, the film is partly based on a real-life relationship between Woody Allen and Diane Keaton which took place in the early 70s.

Facts and Trivia


Director - Woody Allen

Writers - Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman

Alvy Singer played by Woody Allen

Annie Hall played by Diane Keaton

Rob played by Tony Roberts

Allison Portchnik played by Carol Kane

Duane Hall played by Cristopher Walken

Tony Lacey played by Paul "Simon and Garfunkel" Simon

Though you don't even see her face, Alvy's date at the end of the film is Sigourney Weaver.

93 minutes runtime.

UK certificate 15.

Annie Hall won four Academy Awards (including Best Picture), four BAFTAs (including Best Picture and Best Editing).

In the decade after its release Annie Hall grossed $100 million worldwide.

Quotes


Alvy: You know, we had a saying, uh, that those who can't do teach, and those who can't teach, teach gym. And, uh, those who couldn't do anything, I think, were assigned to our school.


Alvy: I was thrown out of there during my freshman year, for cheating on my metaphysics final. You know, I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me.


Alvy: I don't respond well to mellow, you know what I mean, I... I have a tendency to ... if I get too mellow, I... I ripen and then rot.


Annie parks the car

Alvy: Don't worry. We can walk to the curb from here.


Alvy and Annie are attempting to cook lobsters. They are dropping them all over the floor, and generally not doing too well.

Alvy: We should've gotten steaks, steaks don't have legs.


Alvy has killed two spiders.

Alvy Singer: I did it. I killed 'em both.

Annie starts crying.

Alvy Singer: What's the matter? What are you sad about? What did you want me to do? Capture 'em and rehabilitate 'em?


Annie: La-di-da, la-di-da.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2268065

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more