Castrati

0 Conversations

The castrati were male choral singers who had been castrated in order to keep their voices high. Even though this practice sounds barbaric to us, the castrati were condoned and encouraged by, of all institutions, the Catholic church. The Church interpreted certain biblical passages as prohibiting female singers in church, and yet the increasingly-complex music of the 16th and 17th century demanded musicians with high voices and years of practice. By the time they had the requisite musicianship, boys were losing the high-pitched voices of childhood. Enter the castrati. The first castrati were admitted to the Papal Choir in 1599.

Some sources estimate that during the height of the castrati craze during the 18th century as many as 4,000 boys a year were being castrated in Italy, on the relatively off chance that they would become rich and famous singers. Famous castrati were popular enough to prompt people to follow their careers and wear medallions bearing their portraits, becoming in essence castrati groupies.

Amazingly enough, castrati continued in use in the Sistine Chapel long enough for one of them, Allesandro Moreschi, to be recorded. Moreschi was the director of the Sistine Chapel Choir and lived until 1922.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A222030

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more