A Conversation for Handy Latin Phrases

Latin - circa

Post 1

David_B1

Hi

I am not a Latin scolar but I am sure I heard Stephen Fry say (so it must be true)tha 'circa' should only be used in relation to dates and times and so on. Now that i beleive this to be true I get annoyed when others use it to mean 'approximately', for instance, a piece of land circa 15 acres.

So, my question is; should circa only be used in realtion to dates and times - if so whay and what is the root?

I have tried to research this but online examples do only refer to dates/times but the rooot is from 'circus' meaning within?

As I said, I am not a Latin scolar so please be gentle.

Thanks and regards

David


Latin - circa

Post 2

Banjo Golly

This page has all you ever wanted to know about circa

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059%3Aentry%3D%238085


Both prepositional uses that you have described are listed on the page, along with examples:

"In time, designating nearness, proximity to a definite point of time, about..." e.g.,
"postero die circa eandem horam in eundem locum rex copias admovit" (= The following day at about the same time the king moved his troops to the same place),

and,

"In numerical designations, about, nearly, almost"
"circa decem milia Persarum" (= about 10,000 Persians)

So the Romans used it both ways, but we are not Romans, and we do not speak Latin*. To get the full story on the usage of "circa" in English (and this is a question of English, not Latin, usage, whatever the origin of the word) you should go to the library and look in the Oxford English Dictionary.

*Actually, for all I know, you might be a Roman. And I do sometimes speak Latin. But you know what I mean.


Latin - circa

Post 3

David_B1

Thanks BG

Now I have to recondition myself not to get annoyed smiley - smiley

DB


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more