Blind Faith

1 Conversation

This page is dedicated to the memory of Rick Grech

Blind Faith was a band from 1969.

After Cream had split, Eric Clapton was significantly richer. He met Steve Winwood in his (Eric's) new house, that he had bought with his significant wealth. Both were at loose ends, Steve had just come out of big band Traffic. They ended up forming Blind Faith, that was to earn them plenty more dough.

Along with these two was ex-Cream drummer Ginger Baker, and Rick Grech. They were all stonking musicians. Even Rick (just because you've never heard of him). They released one album, called Blind Faith. It was a stunner (in it's time). It sold an awful lot of copies. Blind Faith had already earned itself a name by having some of the greatest musicians (and biggest names) of the late 60s together in it. On the album you can hear Winwood's beutiful wailing vocals (on par with Jack Bruce), typical class guitar playing by Clapton and the acid-induced ramblings of Ginger Baker. Baker's track was Do What You Like, a 15 minute ballad of drum solos, crazy lyrics, crazy keyboards and strange noises at the end.

A concert witnessed by 100,000 people in Hyde Park was followed by 2 tours. One in America and another in Scandinavia. Blind Faith were being labelled (and sometimes still are) as the world's first supergroup. This is definatly untrue. Let's set the record straight:

Supergroup #1:The Beatles

Supergroup #2:Cream

Supergroup #3:Blind Faith

Blind Faith were terribly popular. That was the problem. It was becoming a prison for Clapton and Winwood.
"I never wanted to be a great star, I wanted only to be a great musician" said Mr W. sounds a lot like Mr C. So because of that, Blind Faith was disbanded. Simple as that. Eric Clapton went onto Derek & The Dominoes, Steve Winwood re-formed Traffic.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A201998

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more