A Conversation for Unix

Text-based User Interfaces

Post 1

Researcher 58695

Oh, well.

I don't need a graphical interface for 'date'.


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 2

beware/of/the/towel

But you do to read this message


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 3

Researcher 58695

As you just might have guessed, I am able to read and write these messages, and -yes!- I am doing it on a graphical interface under UNIX.

Trying to get my point clearer: Is it really necessary to have a graphical front-end for each and every command? I don´t think so. On the other hand, if it helps users who aren't as familiar with computers as you and me to handle them, then why not?

Maybe I have been a bit impulsive. smiley - smiley


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I just installed my first copy of Corel Linux - it's GUI all the way... Kind of takes the fun out of it, somehow smiley - sadface


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 5

CYB97

Well corel linux is as close to microsoft you get with a linux distribution, and I still haven't gotten over the part that it installs with a blank root password... and all the user passwords are blank by default.... it's horrendous considering the fact that linux is supposed to be so secure....
And I've seen results claiming that corel's distribution isn't as stable as other more mainstream and more hardcore-guru distributions... but I haven't got any hands-on experience with corel so I can't really argue that case very much...


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 6

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I think the "blank" passwords are more understandable if you consider the target audience. Corel is the variety of Linux most likely to appear on a "newbie" machine with no internet or other network connection. Experience has shown me that those are the people who will think of a "clever" password, then forget it the next day and lock themselves out of the system. In a network environment, it's acceptable to think in "Guru mode" and say "that's their own fault - they should learn some password discipline!", but when it's a 486 in somebody's back bedroom that attitude is a bit unnecessary... smiley - bigeyes


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 7

CYB97

Can't say I totally agree, people who install Corel linux has also heard about the "great" security linux has.... There should at least be a default password for root, even if it's just there to keep lazy newbies from using root as their useraccount...
I tend to think the harder the OS is to use the first time, the more you'll be rewarded after a week or 2 with lots of problems.... but then again, I am one of those bearded guru gnomes who spend too much time behind the monitors..


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 8

Biggy P (the artist phormerly known as phord)

Corel Linux Is Revolting, it relies totaly upon the specialy tailored KDE window Manager, the boot loader is written to disk whether you want to install it or not, the splash screen sits on top of the start up screen so you can't see what it's doing, and a number off apps didn't work, including Corels own WordPerfect 8 lte.

My favourite is Mandrake, although most people considder it to be a begginers Distro, I bought mandrake because I thought there must be something other than corel, I was not dissapointed, the setup program was nice and easy partitioning was straight forward and install took very little time.

when I started I clung to the X interface but know i'm very fluent in the command line. and it's also a good platform to learn C from.


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 9

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I've heard a lot of good reports about Mandrake - I plan to play with it soon... smiley - fish


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 10

Biggy P (the artist phormerly known as phord)

If you want any Distribution of linux for around £5 try the following sites:

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk all things linux and more

http://www.aquila-vision.co.uk Mainly PCB Design with Linux as a Sideline.


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 11

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Thanks, but I have a friend with a fast line and a CD burner in his back bedroom! smiley - smiley

I can generally get any distro. for a 30p blank CD-R and a beer...!


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 12

Biggy P (the artist phormerly known as phord)

well O.K but if you ever need Tux T-Shirts, Hackers KeyBoards, coffe Mugs or 30cm high furry penguins then the linux emporium may still be usefull.


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 13

Phil

Oh no you don't need a GUI to read and contribute to this community. I have used lynx (a text browser) to read and post to H2G2 several times. OK it isn't as pretty but it works.


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 14

jimmiejaz

The most Unix like of all the Linux distro's is Slackware. Check it out if you got the time. I response to no GUI, if it can't be done on the command line, it really doesn't need to be done.


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 15

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

You must have one hell of a visual imagination to play "Doom" on the command line! smiley - winkeye


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 16

jimmiejaz

Let me start again. Except for games (unlike battlestar, hitchhickers guide...) you don't need a GUI.


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 17

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

What about The GIMP? smiley - winkeye


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 18

Phil

Who says you need a graphical interface to Doom. Have you not come across text mode doom then? http://fraggle.alkali.org/textdoom.shtml

There is also a set of patches for Quake to do the same thing at http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 19

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I'm impressed! I withdraw that particular piece of sarcasm! smiley - tongueout


Text-based User Interfaces

Post 20

phw

>Check it out if you got the time
"...if you got the time" is the critical statement here.
Slackware is one hell of a distribution. Be prepared to read half of the How-Tos and manpages. Twice.
On the other hand, Slackware is the best distribution to learn how things work in linux.
I'm still learning...
I've tried Caldera, Red Hat and Mandrake and now Slackware.
I hate it, I love it.
I will never let go of it smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Text-based User Interfaces

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more