A Conversation for Buying a Train Ticket in Britain

Permit to travel

Post 1

Geggs

The entry doesn't seem to include any info about a Permit To Travel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permit_to_travel.

I'm not sure how widespread the permit machines are, but I know they are pretty ubiqitious in Birmingham.

The idea of the machine is that if the ticket office in closed, then you can obtain a Permit To Travel from the machine buy putting in any amount of coins up to the expected value of your ticket (though you can generally get away with 10p). The Permit gives you permission to start your journey, but must be exchanged for a real ticket if a ticket inspector turns up.


Geggs


Permit to travel

Post 2

semper_paratus

Yes, I see what you mean. I do mention it though in the Number-One Rule section. I'll see what I can do about adding another paragraph about it.

Just one thing though. You can get away with just 10p, but if you are stopped and you pay for your ticket with the remaining change in your pocket, that can be seen as trying to avoid paying the full fare and can on rare occasions end in a penalty fare. I recommend putting in 2 or 3 pounds, which will show more of an intent to purchase a ticket.

smiley - ok


Permit to travel

Post 3

semper_paratus

An extra section has now been added to cover the permit-to-travle. Thanks for the input.

SP smiley - biggrin


Permit to travel

Post 4

Geggs

Not a problem. It just seemed an odd omission as I was reading through it.


Geggs


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more