A Conversation for Coffee

Temperature

Post 1

Joe Otten


In Italy cafe (espresso) will be served at a drinkable temperature. What is the excuse that the big chains and little coffee shops alike have here (in the UK) for serving inferior coffee too hot?

I once met up with some Italians 5 minutes before we were due somewhere else. "Time for coffee?" asked one. "Yes". said the other. We went into a packed coffee bar, had our coffee and still got to our meeting with one minute to spare.

The real danger is to Italians visiting here: don't bother with the coffee; if you do, let it cool down.


Temperature

Post 2

doctorsimon

Espresso should be made at 88-92 Centigrade.
actually there is far more to it, and I am still learning. But a good espresso is a careful balance between the following:
* freshness of bean/roast (it does not have to be a dark roast)
* size of grind, must be fine and consistent
* quantity of coffee (approx. 7g per shot)
* pressure of tamper (must be approx. 15kg over the tamp)
* pressure of water passed through (hence size of grind and tamp matter) the coffee
* approx 30cc of coffee should be extracted in approx 25 seconds
* extraction temperature is 88-92C

This will produce a short, hot, coffee with a rich crema on top.
Many of the coffee bars becoming fashionable in the UK are not doing this, their coffee hence tastes:
* burned (too hot)
* dirty (over extracted)
* weak (not enough resistance in the pull)
* stale (coffee ground too long ago)

Sadly, it is an expensive habit. It costs about EUR500 each for a reasonable grinder and coffee machine.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more