Relativity

0 Conversations

During the opening years of this century a clerk by the name of Einstein submitted a theory called Relativity. This nifty piece of science had 4 main things at its core; there is no universal clock, mass and energy are equivalent, light is as fast as things can go and your relative speed affects how things are percieved.

The most familiar area of Relativity for most people is the famed equation E=mc^2. This is the equation that describe the fundamental relationship between the energy gained by and object as it's mass increases. Used to great effect in nuclear weapons and power plants, its impact on society is one of the greatest known. The fact that we can obtain such huge quantities of energy from the nuclei of atoms (c, the speed of light in a vacuum squared is needless to say a very large number) has changed the course of history. Never before had one discovery brought so much hope for an end of the energy crisis but also threatened the planet with the extinction of almost all the life. Such is the power of this single equation in two variables.

It has been worked out that three main areas are affected by speed and those are rate of time flow, length in direction of travel and mass of object. People say that these factors are only noticed at high relatavistic (this is a cool sounding way of saying 'very very fast') velocities but I believe that they are seen more than you'd expect. Take mass for example, no matter how fast you run you still seem to have gained in weight when it comes to the bathroom scales later. Time is the same in a way, no matter how slowly you are moving relative to the teacher at school time seems to be painfully slow. Conversely it seems to go very very fast when you want it to slow down.

From this I conclude that either a) the speed of light is slower than we thought and is just going fast while the experiment is going on or b) life is designed to be annoying.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A165764

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more