The Sea Scouts Royal Navy Recognition Scheme Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Sea Scouts Royal Navy Recognition Scheme

1 Conversation

At the time of writing there are around 450 Sea Scout groups in the UK, all of which take part in some form of water activities and are entitled to wear the traditional itchy navy-blue Sea Scout Jersey as opposed to the modern Scout Uniforms which appeared in 2002 after the movement was modernised. However, only members of one of the 101 Sea Scout groups are allowed to wear a small, dark blue rectangular badge depicting a crown and an anchor, as this is the sign of the Royal Navy Recognised Sea Scout group, with the 101st being Gibraltar Sea Scouts. In the past, displeased admirals have been known to forcibly remove the badge from the jumpers of sub-standard groups, indicating that this is more than just another run of the mill award.

History

Sea Scouting itself began in 1908, one year after the Scouting Movement as a whole started. During World War I, it was common for Sea Scouts to act as lookouts and runners. The groups involved were officially recognised after the end of the war, allowing them access to many facilities, and official support (without becoming Navy-controlled), similar to the Navy Cadets of today. During World War II, the scheme was altered so that groups were recognised for their level of proficiency. They were offered grants to help them train young men before they joined the Navy proper. A Memorandum of Agreement was created between the Navy and the Scout Association, and the scheme has existed ever since, seen over by the Second Sea Lord.

The Perks

As mentioned, each recognised group receives funding from the Navy, this being a small amount per Scout or Explorer Scout per annum. The group takes pride in being recognised as efficient by the Navy, and is permitted to do the following:

  • Each member of the group may wear the Royal Navy Recognition Badge on the right breast of their jersey.

  • The group is provided with and may fly the Navy Pennant and the defaced Red Ensign, which consists of a red flag with the Union Jack in the top left corner and the Scout Emblem on the right. The emblem is then used for Colours and Sunset1 instead of the ordinary Union Jack.

  • The group may apply to camp at HMS Bristol, a Type 82 destroyer moored at Portsmouth Naval Base, provided this incurs no cost to public funds2.

  • The group may arrange to visit certain other boats and military establishment with permission from the Navy.

  • At Navy events, Sea Scout leaders will be afforded the same standard of accommodation as Sea Cadet Officers.

  • The group may use equipment on loan from or provided by the Navy.

  • The group can apply for grants from the Admiralty Fund towards equipment, facilities and training.

  • Last but not least, the group may enter the Sea Scout Annual Swimming Gala at HMS Raleigh sports base.

Gaining Recognition

In order to gain or keep Royal Navy Recognition, a group should notify their District Commissioner and then apply via Scout headquarters at Gilwell Park. An initial examination will then occur, with an admiral or other high-ranking naval official inspecting the entire group, including the Beaver, Cub, Explorer and Network Scout sections, along with any representatives from the County and District levels. Parents are also a good thing to have present, provided they're well-behaved. The group will be inspected both 'ashore' and 'afloat', with the former being at the group's land base and the latter at their water base. The group may be deemed suitable for Recognition but may not actually gain it, as although any number of groups may be good enough, only 101 groups may actually hold the award. Once a group has attained Recognised status, a different high-ranking Navy official will visit the group every eighteen months, inspecting it either ashore or afloat to produce a detailed report on each occasion, and reconsidering whether the group should retain its status. The following basic requirements must be fulfilled before a group can be inspected:

  • The group must be financially self-supporting - grants from the navy will only be to supplement the group's funds.

  • The group must consist of at least 24 Scouts and Explorer Scouts, although a group may retain its status if it falls below 24 strong due to exceptional circumstances.

  • The group must be organised well enough that its members may be taught elementary seamanship effectively.

  • The group must be led by an officially Warranted Scout Leader.

The Inspection

The Inspection Officer should be 'piped aboard' by a Sea Scout using a bosun's call3, at which time the group should be called to attention. The Inspection Officer will observe the raising of the Colours and will then proceed to inspect every member of the group. It is vital that the group are all well-presented in correct uniform, and that they stand still and quiet to attention unless talked to by the Officer. The Officer will ask many of the group questions about Navy Recognition, the Scouting Movement, the award schemes and badges, and even about themselves. The toughest questions are reserved for the older members of the group, and the Officer is usually much nicer to the Beavers and doesn't expect them to recite a potted history of Baden Powell. It is expected that half the Scouts present should hold a Challenge Award and 25% should hold four, and that Explorer Scouts should be working towards Chief Scout's Awards and should hold one of several awards specific to water activities. In general the badgework of the group should be very much up to scratch.

The group will then proceed to change into 'scruff kit' and perform water or land-based activities - water-based activities are preferable if the inspection occurs between April and October, though the weather should always be taken into account. If water-based activities take place, the Inspecting Officer should be involved in some way, and will expect to see man-overboard, casualty and capsize drills as appropriate. The activities should be varied and should show the group's various abilities and organisational skills. Once the activities are over, the group will return to base and change back to their uniforms for Sunset, where the Colours are lowered once again. Once this is done, the Inspecting Officer will gather round all those present for the debriefing, often asking a few more questions beforehand.

1Colours is the raising of the group's flag at the start of each meeting, while Sunset is the lowering of the flag before the meeting ends.2In other words, the group has to pay a certain amount for the privilege.3A metal whistle with a hole for adjusting between high and low pitch. For reference, the piping aboard should consist of long crisp notes, starting with high, then passing to low, then back to high.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A14196576

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more