Merritt Parkway, Connecticut, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Merritt Parkway, Connecticut, USA

5 Conversations

Route 15 through south-western and south-central Conneticut is also known as the Merritt Parkway. The four-lane road runs east-west from New Haven to the New York State line, where it morphs silently into the Hutchinson River Parkway. It is labelled north-south.

The speed limit on Route 15 is fifty-five miles per hour. Driving less than sixty-five, however, is not advised, as wind shear from cars passing you on the left can prove dangerous in the cramped confines of the Merritt. If you go anything less than sixty, people will begin tailgating you before they pass; drop below the speed limit and angry yuppies in BMWs just may give you the finger as they fly past you in the left-hand lane.

The Merritt is a true parkway. The twenty-foot wide centre divide is filled with all manner of flora. However, in its zeal to provide greenery for the commuters, the State of Connecticut has failed to provide a shoulder for car breakdowns and other emergencies. Its westernmost third is extremely hilly, curvy and quite dangerous, and has been compared to a tamer, prettier version of the Saw Mill River Parkway.

Route 15 runs parallel to Interstate 95 and U.S. Route 1 through the towns of Darien, New Canaan, Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport and Westport twenty miles north of the Long Island Sound.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A137639

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more