'Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing' by Gabrielle Lord Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

'Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing' by Gabrielle Lord

0 Conversations

A crime scene from the book 'Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing' by Gabrielle Lord.

Gabrielle Lord is an Australian author. Born in 1946, she gained a degree in English Language and Literature and worked as a salesperson, teacher, fruit picker, brick cleaner, market gardener and employment officer before taking up writing full time. Her previous novels include: Fortress (1980); Tooth and Claw (1983); Jumbo (1986); Salt (1990); Whipping Boy (1992); Bones (1995); The Sharp End (1998); Feeding the Demons (1999) and Death Delights (2001). Fortress was made into a film and Whipping Boy into a telemovie. She has also published short stories and articles.

Writing Style

Although she's marketed as a crime fiction writer by her publishers, she dislikes that classification, saying that she writes about social issues and finds crime stories an appropriate medium to use. A frequently occurring theme in her novels is child abuse/neglect and its effects.

Her novels are fast paced and full of tension, drama, action and mystery, with unexpected plot twists. She does a lot of research to get the details right. The plots occasionally include paranormal or spiritual elements.

Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing

The protagonist of Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing is Gemma Lincoln, ex-cop and private eye, who featured in Gabrielle's earlier book Feeding The Demons. Gemma runs her own private investigation agency with the help of three operatives.

The book starts with a vicious attack on a street prostitute, which Gemma is asked to investigate. She's involved in several other cases too: a client suspects that his wife is cheating on him, a billionaire philanthropist has disappeared after his mansion burnt down in suspicious circumstances, and her boyfriend Steve, an undercover cop, is trying to infiltrate a drug lord's empire. She's also being harassed by a cyber-stalker who sends her malicious email.

She proceeds to investigate all of these cases, alternating between them throughout the book. Further complications arise: one of her friends is murdered; a young boy who's run away from home turns up at her house; and her business runs into serious problems. At various times she's stalked, assaulted, kidnapped and nearly killed. She seeks help from a number of people such as her friend Detective Sergeant Angela MacDonald, her sister Kit, who's a therapist, and her three employees: Spinner, Mike and Louise. But can she trust all of them?

Many of the sub-plots turn out to be related at the end, as often happens in her books.

The title is from a song of the same name by Chris Isaak. The music is used as a motif in the book, and ties in with one of the themes - betrayal.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A1310996

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Credits

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more