Power Chords for the Electric Guitar (CAC Edition)

0 Conversations

The power chord is one of the most common components of rock and roll(and popular music) performance.

A Few Notes Can Go A Long Way

Power chords are often composed of two or three notes, played on the bottom strings(numbers six to four) of the standard six-string electric guitar.

A chord is always named after its root note, and often built with notes from within that note's scale. For example, a chord in the C position(not having any sharps or flats) will have only natural notes in it(in the most simple form of chords).

What IS Guitar Tablature?

Power chords are often best understood and read easiest when written in tablature. Tablature has little concern for instructing guitarists on proper music theory, but provides a universal guide for six-stringers. Tablature takes the six strings of the guitar and transfers them horizontally onto paper.



The bottom line co-ordinates with the thickest string; that low E, known as the sixth string. If a number appears on this line, the string will be played. If this number is a zero(0), the string is to be played Open, or without your finger pressing down on the neck of the guitar. When a number appears in Tablature, it indicates the fret that is to be played:


E---------------------

B---------------------

G---------------------

D---------------------

A--5------------------

E--3------------------



Here, the sixth string is to be played with the third fret held down(Bottom E line, interupted with a 3). You will notice also, that the fifth string(just above the bottom line) is to be played on the fifth fret of the guitar, and simultaneously with the note on the sixth string.



This coupling of tones produces a power chord in G.

Some sheet music will include guitar chord diagrams, used to illustrate the fingering of chords. Rarely will you find published music that has very many power chords in diagram form, and diagram chords commonly strike most, if not all, of the strings.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A11747153

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more