A Conversation for Upgrading Your Computer

I think: smaller is better

Post 1

Alitnil

In no small measure due to the Radio Series, I'm a big fan of (really) portable computers. In the 90's I bought a PoqetPC (and wrote "Don't Panic" on the cover) and loved it. The screen was, however, coupled to the keyboard/Computer with a ribbon cable; when that broke it was all over. Anyway, last year I got a Zaurus. It's like a PDA but is really a computer. It runs Linux and has programs very much like MS Word and Excel. It does wireless stuff (with the right extra bits) but I don't. I use it as a computer and I recommend it to all who want to up+side grade. It sort of takes the pain out of upgrades, at least for a while. There's no hard disk; just solid state memory. Upgrades take the form of bigger compact flash or secure digital (like what goes in a digital camera) cards. Every once in a while Sharp comes up with a better OS and that requires a little dexterity to load but not so much as to be daunting.

On the down side, the built-in keyboard is tiny and so is the screen.


Key: Complain about this post

I think: smaller is better

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more