The 80th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth II

0 Conversations

HM Queen Elizabeth II.

HRH Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor was born at 2.40am on 21 April, 1926. She became Queen Elizabeth II in 1952. This year, 2006, Her Majesty reaches 80 years of age. Events planned for the special celebrations so far include:

  • On Friday 31 March the town of Stafford hosted a special birthday tea party for local residents who share their year of birth with Her Majesty. Over 250 people applied for the chance of an invitation, which were drawn via a lottery.

  • On Wednesday 19 April the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will host a reception and lunch at Buckingham Palace for some people who will also be celebrating their 80th birthday on 21 April, 2006.

  • The Queen will visit Broadcasting House in Portland Place, London, on Thursday 20 April to mark the 80th anniversary of the granting of the BBC's Royal Charter. This will be followed by a visit to the Royal Institute of International Affairs to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the granting of their Royal Charter.

  • The Union Jack will be flown from government buildings from 8am until sunset on Friday 21 April. The Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, will meet members of the public in a birthday walkabout outside Windsor Castle. The Prince of Wales will host a family dinner for the Queen on the evening of 21 April.

  • On Sunday 23 April, members of the Royal Family will attend a special Service of Thanksgiving at St George's Chapel, Windsor, to celebrate the Queen's 80th birthday.

  • On Thursday 15 June the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will attend a National Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral followed by a lunch given by the Lord Mayor and the Corporation
    of London.

  • The official birthday will be marked by the annual Trooping the Colour on Saturday 17 June, and the Union Jack will be flown from government buildings from 8am until sunset.

  • On Sunday 25 June the Queen will host a Birthday Garden Party celebration at Buckingham Palace for children from all over the United Kingdom. Special guests will include Postman Pat, Noddy, Thomas the Tank Engine, Paddington Bear, Bob the Builder and other characters from children's literature. There will be a live show from the Palace broadcast on BBC1 at 6pm.

Leonardo da Vinci

The Royal Collection contains the world's most important group of Leonardo da Vinci's drawings. These delicate works are preserved in the Royal Library at Windsor Castle and are among the greatest treasures of the Collection. The travelling tour commenced on Saturday 18 March, 2006.

Ten of the Royal Collection's finest drawings by the artist will travel to museums and galleries in:

  • Exeter - Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery (18 March – 3 June 2006)

  • Aberdeen Art Gallery (14 June – 28 August 2006)

  • Leeds City Art Gallery (7 September – 19 November 2006)

  • Cardiff National Museum and Gallery (25 November 2006 – February 2007).

Royal Photograph Collection

There will be a special exhibition from the Royal Photograph Collection from 3 April 2006 - 11 March 2007. The exhibition, which will take place in the Drawings Gallery at Windsor Castle, will include photographs from State occasions and official portraits, as well as previously unseen family snapshots taken by the Royal Family themselves.

Gems and Gowns

From 26 July to 24 September 2006 an exhibition of evening wear and jewellery will be held in the State rooms at Buckingham Palace. The dresses date from the 1940s onwards and include spectacular ballgowns. The jewellery will include pieces which were given to the Queen both formally and privately by members of the Royal Family.

A further article on the Queen's birthday celebrations will be submitted to The Post after the events are over.

The Current News and Events Archive

Galaxy Babe

06.04.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A10639758

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more