A Conversation for Tips on How to Live in a Shared Household

Biscuits

Post 1

Laura

Most people are sent to university with some biscuits (because they were told that this would help in making friends). It gives you an excuse to go around and talk to people, but the problem is that everyone else is trying to do the same thing. It's a kind of bribary; 'Will you be my friend? I'll give you a biscuit'...

The consequence is the long established tradition of the biscuit party, where everyone gives up and brings the grub to some communal area. There people can eat, throw, hide behind all the biscuits they want and other social activities.

Chocolate biscuits have a high bribary value, but classic varieties make people feel more at home. Presenting a homesick student with a custard cream will help them feel reasured and happy. Being presented with a custard cream means that you have a friend for life.

It is also helpful to bring other essential welcoming foodstuffs, such as chocolate, hot chocolate, tea, coffee etc.

Always leave your door open and remember that nobody knows anybody and they ar all looking for friends.

This applies more to halls than houses, as the shared house is more a second year+ thing.


Biscuits

Post 2

TeaKay

I'm in my second year, I live in a house and we still have biscuits. Communal biscuits at that. In a hideous Elephant- shaped biscuit jar which was oh so kindly donated by my mother after a less- than- artistic raffle- win.

TKsmiley - pirate


Biscuits

Post 3

Laura

smiley - laugh My biscuit tins are just ordinary biscuit tins, but the contents was donated and was very much appreciated.smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more