A Conversation for The Origins and Common Usage of British Swear-words

p*** off: varying usages

Post 1

nullspace

I'm interested in the British usage of the term "p*** off," as it strikes me as being totally different from the usage that's prevalent in the US.
I understand that it is, or has been, a dire insult in the Home Islands, but i'm not really clear as to why. Could someone elucidate for me?

Here in the Colonies, "p***ed-off," or simply "pissed," refers to being annoyed or angered in a very general sense.
"Pissed," of course, also means inebriated, but its usage in that sense is almost nonexistent here.

Aside: The term "butt-naked" is a variation of "buck-naked" or (in the vernacular) "buck-nekkid."

TIA,


fool


p*** off: varying usages

Post 2

abcB

Telling someone to 'p*** off' in the UK is a milder way of telling them to 'f*** off', to 'sod off' or to 'go away'.

If someone is 'p**ssed', they are drunk.

'P**ssing', 'taking a p**s' or 'having a p**s' is to urinate.

Thanks for reading the entry.

All the best

a broad called Ben


Key: Complain about this post

p*** off: varying usages

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more