A Conversation for Great Castles

Windsor Castle

Post 1

The Ghost of Polidari

One of the (many) homes of the Queen of England and the largest residential castle in the world (apparently).

Higlights of the castle for visitors include -
Queen Mary's Dolls' House : Huge palatial doll house built in the 1920s.
St George's Chapel : 14th century chapel and Burial place of ten British sovereigns, also where Edward and Sophie were married in June 1999.
Paintings : The Queen's collection of art is one of the greatest collections in the world, and Windsor Castle has a great deal of it on show, including works by Da Vinci, Holbein, Rubens, Van Dyck and Canaletto.
The Gardens : recently restored to their original splendour - definitely a must for a picnic on a sunny day.

The State Appartments make up the bulk of the castle which you can visit and are well worth spending half a day touring round. Thousands of items of furniture, paintings, sculpture, porcelain and armour to enjoy. Favourite item - look out for the bullet that killed Admiral Lord Nelson, in one of the display cabinets.

Some of the armament rooms are an incredible sight - thousands of weapons (swords, pistols, pikes, etc) mounted on the walls in huge intricate designs.

There is also currently a display showing the restoration work that was needed after much of the castle was destroyed by fire in 1992 which is worth a look.

The castle is open all year round, bar one or two dates (such as Christmas, etc - do check in advance just in case).

You can get there by train from London (from Waterloo or Paddington), by coach from Victorai coach station, or by road - M4 to Exit 6, M3 to Exit 3.

Entry prices are usually £11 for adults and £5.50 for children (other variations do exist).


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more