A Conversation for International Dining Etiquette

Denmark

Post 1

Santragenius V

Actually, a lot of the rules I was brought up with apply in many other countries, but some don't:

While "skåling" (clinking glasses), you sure should look the other person(s) briefly in the eyes. Briefly because if there are 11 other at the table it would take forever before you could drink if you had to stare long and lovingly at each. There might be other issues, but they fall outside of this scope... smiley - smiley

After you've drunk, raise your glass just another notch as to say "thanks/well done/that went down well or the like" (but DON'T say it).

--

Rule of thumb: If it once could fly, you are allowed to use your hands when eating it. Though, if you need to appear very posh, you can do even quails with knife & fork...

--

Start eating once you've been served or wait for everyone? That's a hot topic! The leading Danish lady of good behavior, Emma Gad, to my recollection wrote that you should start at once in respect for the food -- it's meant to be hot and thus should be eaten while it still is (makes sense to me!).

--

I loved the Russian one about juice being there to be sipped! When Danes say "skål", you're right -- normally don't drink the whole thing. Exception: You're drinking snaps/akvavit or Gammel Dansk (which only ladies sip). Or, when somebody says "resten i håret" (the rest in your hair), you try as hard as you can to drain your glass to complete dryness to avoid having to pour what's left in your hair...

(happens mostly in younger company late at night, though)

SG V


Denmark

Post 2

Santragenius V

Just reread this wonderful entry (it'll probably do me a world of good next time I'm on a business trip in Asia...)

I've heard that there's a law (or something very close to that) saying that pizza absolutely must be eaten with your fingers, no knives and forks please - but I guess that's mostly valid for take-away...

And about mobile phones. YES -- switch 'em off while you're eating. At the very least if it's in a public place!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more