A Conversation for International Dining Etiquette

Reason for not using left hand

Post 1

Caledonian

I'm not certain if this is true, but it's what I've been told...

In the Middle East and parts of Africa, it is taboo to accept food or drink with the left hand. Supposedly, this is because historically, there is no toilet paper (or substitute thereof), so something else must be used... and it ended up being the left hand. (Yuck!)

This rule applies even if you're left handed. Don't try and use logic to convince people that you should be allowed to use your left... just accept it with your right, no matter how difficult it is for you. Trust me on this one.

[bows respectfully]

-Caledonian


Reason for not using left hand

Post 2

Demon Drawer

The right hand is seen as unclean. You Djin of evil sits on your left shoulder totting up your sin. It is a long held myth by many people groups that lefthandedness was evil, and thus the latin word Sinistra came to become sinister in our lauguage today. As a lefthander who was taught to write righthanded it is a common enough problem even to the modernish day.


Key: Complain about this post

Reason for not using left hand

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more