A Conversation for International Dining Etiquette

Sub saharan Africa

Post 1

Is mise Duncan

Don't touch the food with your left hand.

The food will often be a starchy substance (ground mealies or maybe rice) and a bit of meat in runny sauce. What you do is roll up a ball of the mealies and dip it into the sauce - perhaps grabbing a sliver of meat and popping the resultant ball in the mouth...all with the right hand only.
If you feel you might forget then sit on your left hand smiley - smiley. It will avoid a considerable offence.


Sub saharan Africa

Post 2

jqr

Agreed: the left hand is a major insult. Lefties (like me) should practice wielding a spoon in the right hand just to avoid giving offense. However, I've noticed it is okay to remove bones (chicken, fish, etc.) from your mouth with your left hand.


Sub saharan Africa

Post 3

Dinsdale Piranha

!!!!SQUEAMISHNESS ALERT!!!!

I think this is because in many countries (Muslim ones especially), the left hand is the one used to clean yourself after defecating (sorry).

What I want to know is how do people who belong to the Scout movement (no pun intended) shake hands in these countries. For those who are confused by that last sentence, Scouts always shake hands using the left hand.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more