A Conversation for Handy Latin Phrases

Help remembering a phrase.

Post 1

saintjaymz

Hi, this is going to sound like a crazy request, and if you think it's too 'out-there' to answer, I completely understand. Anyway, here goes...
An ex-girlfriend said a phrase once that I thought was really cool.
It sounded like 'ocum raser'. She said it meant something along the lines of simpler minds having deeper understanding. If you have any idea what phrase she might have been talking about, I'd love to know.
Thanks


Help remembering a phrase.

Post 2

Banjo Golly

Occam's razor is the principle stated by William of Occam (or Ockham) that when choosing between competing theories to explain a phenomenon, the simplest explanation that fits the known facts is most likely to be the best one.

In his words:

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate." “Plurality should not be posited without necessity.”

These days the form you usually hear is: “Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity.”


Help remembering a phrase.

Post 3

saintjaymz

Thanks for the info. Believe it or not, I watched a movie called Contact last night with a friend... Jodi Foster's character mentioned Occam's Razor. Thanks again.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more