A Conversation for Handy Latin Phrases

Carborundum

Post 1

Hagakure74

gramatically and from the point of being better Latin, which is to be prefered (and why)

Nemo me bastardes carborundum

or

Non illegitamus carborundum


Carborundum

Post 2

Iphigenia

I can't understand either of them.


Carborundum

Post 3

Hagakure74

I thought they were meant to be versions of "don't let the Bastards grind you down". Been a while since I did proper Latin though so pretty rusty. I may be confusing it with nemo me impune lecissit (think I spelt the last word wrong).


Carborundum

Post 4

Banjo Golly

'Carborundum' is the registered trade name of a kind of silicon carbide. It is an invented word (from 'carbon' and 'corundum').

You mean 'Nemo me impune lacessit.' Noone provokes me with impunity.

Bastard in Latin is 'nothus', but I'm not sure if it was used in the sense used here. 'Mentula' (prick) or 'irrumator' (face ****er) are also insulting names. So 'Don't let the bastards grind you down' might be translated as 'Noli mentulas/nothos/irrumatores te opprimere pati.'

This posting has been brought to you by the letter A and the number 7.
I'm off for some smiley - tea and smiley - cake.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more