A Conversation for 'The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms' - the Film

A87826486 - 'The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms' - the Film

Post 21

Bluebottle

I've changed it to 'A system that included the use of matte lines' and deleted all mention of counter-mattes to keep it simple, and avoid going into a complex discussion of the matting system used.

The matting process Harryhausen used involved a sheet of glass positioned between the camera and the model table. To matte out part of the screen, an area of the glass was painted black, so that when each shot of film in the camera was taken, some of each frame was unexposed. The counter-matte was the reverse, with the previously matted-out glass area now clear and the part of glass previously clear now painted black, while the film was re-wound and re-exposed frame-by-frame in a method that made sure the model appeared in front of what was counter-matted, but behind what was matted. It's a little complicated and probably would need an article to fully explain.

If you see pictures of how it is done it is much easier to envisage. There are lots of diagrams in the books that Harryhausen wrote with Tony Dalton which are available in many libraries and good bookshops.

<BB<

Post 22

Bluebottle

Oh, and:

Entry: 'The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms' - the Film - A87826486
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

<BB<

Post 23

Gnomon - time to move on

How about adding a footnote:

"A matte is a device which masks part of the scene, allowing different parts of the scene to be filmed in separate exposures."

or a better wording of your own.

Post 24

Bluebottle

Simple & straightforward - a great addition.smiley - ok

<BB<

Post 25

SashaQ - happysad

Ah! smiley - eurekasmiley - ok

I'd just suggest one more tweak - 'while the beast model was animated in front of it' (avoid using the word foreground for two different things)

smiley - ok

Post 26

Bluebottle

I know what you two are up to – you're deliberately suggesting minor changes in the hope that I'll sing again....

Changes madesmiley - winkeye

<BB<

Post 27

SashaQ - happysad

I must say you do have a fantastic text singing voice smiley - oksmiley - laughsmiley - roflsmiley - laughsmiley - snork

Made me want to sing my favourite tune *clears throat*

smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnote Tweaking it all again
smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnote Never wanted to
smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnote It's because of SashaQ
smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnote We can't help it...

I 'love the article's tweak so' and I have no other changes to suggest smiley - ok

Post 28

Bluebottle

I was watching the 1942 'Superman' cartoon 'The Arctic Giant' yesterday and there are some similarities.

<BB<

Post 29

SashaQ - happysad

The Beast resurfaces, and gave me a good laugh at the singing! I'd forgotten about that! smiley - laugh

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 30

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 31

Bluebottle

smiley - wowYay! Thanks everyone.

<BB<

Post 32

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - ok

Post 33

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnotesmiley - oksmiley - bubbly

Key: Complain about this post